Crime Victims’ Rights Day 2015
Victims’ Rights Day is an annual event to honor all victims of crime in
New Hampshire. It serves as a memorial and also a challenge to ensure that all victims of crime receive the dignity and respect that they deserve.
Schedule of Events:
- 11am - Press Conference featuring members of the Attorney General's Office and victim rights organizations followed by an annual dedication at the memorials of homicide and crash victims.
- 11am - 2pm Clothesline Project which will be on display from 11:00am - 2:00pm.
- 11am - 4pm - The Red Cross will be holding a blood drive in their Blood Mobile on Main Street.
- 2:30pm - The Hunting Ground - a documentary screening of the critically acclaimed film about campus sexual assault. Co-sponsored by the Crisis Center of New Hampshire and Red River Theatre.
- 5:30 pm - Memorial service will pay tribute to all those who have died or have been traumatized by violent crime. It will be directly followed by a vigil and a reception.
The press conference will include tributes to two community members who have made outstanding contributions to ending violent crime. Abby Tassel, the Assistant Director of Wise of the Upper Valley will receive the Annual Visionary Voice Award. Jeffrey Furlone, Dean of Students at Plymouth State University will receive the Victims' Rights Day Award for his work to raise awareness and improve responses to campus sexual assault.
The public is encouraged to visit the Clothesline Project Display organized by the AmeriCorps Victim Assistance Program of the Coalition. It will be on display at Red River from 11am to 2pm. This project highlights the pain and healing experienced by survivors of domestic and sexual violence. It gives survivors and their loved ones a way to cope with and express what they have experienced by writing messages on t-shirts.
Information from other Victims’ Rights organizations will also be available throughout the day.
This event is sponsored by the following organizations:
- N.H. Attorney General’s Office
- United States Attorney's Office, NH District
- AmeriCorps Victim Assistance Program
- New Hampshire Coalition Against Domestic and Sexual Violence
- Victims, Inc.
All media are invited to attend all of the events including the service. The press conference will be heavily attended by victims and their family members, as well as members of law enforcement and the advocacy community.
For more information contact: Maureen McDonald 603-224-8893 extension 311; Maureen@nhcadsv.org or Brigit Feeney at 603-271-1239.