Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner Program (SANE)
A Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) is a Registered Nurse who has been specially trained to provide comprehensive, uninterrupted care to sexual assault survivors, including conducting the forensic collection of evidence. The goal of the SANE Program is to minimize the physical and psychological trauma to the victim and to maximize the probability of collecting and preserving the physical evidence of an assault for potential use in the legal system.
Mission of the SANE Program
- To avoid further trauma to all sexual assault survivors in the health care environment.
- To provide a compassionate and sensitive approach to sexual assault victims.
- To provide timely medical/forensic examination with more complete evidence collection.
- To provide referral for follow-up care and counseling.
- To provide testimony as needed
NHCADSV is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by Northeast Multi State Division, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
SANE Advisory Board
A statewide multidisciplinary team of professionals, created by the Attorney General’s Office to oversee the New Hampshire Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) Program. The Board consists of invited representatives from the Attorney General’s Office, the New Hampshire Coalition Against Domestic and Sexual Violence and the crisis centers, SANEs, law enforcement, prosecution, forensic laboratory personnel, health care organizations, corrections, as well as other disciplines. Read more about the Advisory Board.
State of New Hampshire Comprehensive Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) Requirements
- Attendance at the 64 hour didactic training program.
- Attendance at the 8 hour clinical skills lab program.
- Completion is determined, according to the IAFN SANE Education Guidelines, by the evaluating clinician and the facility utilizing the SANE or by the NH SANE Coordinator.
- Adhering to the State of New Hampshire Office of the Attorney General’s Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner Rules and Regulations for Currency of Practice.
64-Hour COMPREHENSIVE SANE TRAINING PROGRAM APPLICATION
The SANE Program provides training for nurses throughout the year. Click here for the training schedule. For more information on the SANE Program please email Madison Lightfoot or call 603-224-8893, ext. 306
Resources for SANE Nurses
Click on the link to download the following forms:
These forms should be returned to the attention of:
PO Box 353
Concord, NH 03301
They can also be faxed to (603) 228-6096. Please notify the NH SANE Program if you have submitted documentation, you will receive a confirmation email when your forms have been received.
Protocols and Handbooks
For more information about the NH SANE Program, please contact: